One of the keys to a successful Scouting experience for young people, second only to the selection of the right person for each responsibility, is trained volunteer leadership. Leadership training provides adult leaders with fundamental information about the aims and methods of the movement, as well as specifics about their particular roles in Scouting.
For this reason, the Coronado Council has adopted a Mandatory Training Policy for all Scouting leaders that have direct responsibility for the program in their unit. These "Direct contact leaders" leaders must complete the basic training for their registered position to be rechartered in that position.
A Direct Contact Leader is defined as a:
- Cub Scouts - Cubmaster, Assistant Cubmaster, Tiger Den leader, Den leader, Webelos Den Leader, and Committee Chairman
- Boy Scouts - Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, Committee Chairman
- Venturing - Crew Advisor, Associate Crew Advisor, Committee Chairman
- Sea Scouting - Skipper and Committee Chairman
- Varsity Scouts - Coach, Assistant Coach, and Committee Chairman
This policy is greater than that which is required for for the unit's Journey to Excellence grading and supercedes any and all previous training policies of the Coronado Area Council.
Effective June 1, 2010, Youth Protection Training is mandatory for all registered volunteers. See policy for details.
The Coronado Council is committed to provide top quality training opportunities for leaders, parents and Scouts at the district and council levels. Through these efforts, the delivery of a better and quality Scouting program can be provided to our entire youth membership.
Coronado Area Council "What Makes Trained Leader"
Update Your Training Record
In support of the Coronado Area Council's drive to 100% Trained Leadership the council's Training Committee is striving to correct all of our leaders training records.
If your training record is inaccurate you can now simply send an email with the necessary corrections and our council's registrar will update your Scouting record.
To update your record our registrar will need the following information:
- Your name
- Your current registration (unit type, unit number and unit position or District/Council position)
- Specific Name of the training course that you have completed
- Date you completed the course
You are on your honor as a Scout to insure that the information provided is accurate and truthful.
Submissions without all of the above information can not be processed.
To submit your Training Record corrections please send an email to the Training Support Staff
Leadership Training Resources
Leadership Training Information
Local Council Training Programs