Dutch Oven Recipe of the Week
Mountain Man Breakfast
Author: 50 Campfires
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1 lb. mild pork sausage, crumbled
- 5-6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 lb. pkg frozen hash browns, shredded
- 6 roasted, peeled, seeded jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 pkg shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook and stir the sausage, onion, and garlic in a 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven raised over the coals to medium-high heat, until the sausage is no longer pink and the onion is tender.
- Stir in the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and hash brown potatoes until evenly mixed. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the hash browns are hot and the peppers are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Pour the beaten eggs evenly over the top of the potatoes, allowing them to sink into the potatoes. Cover the Dutch oven, and place 6 to 9 coals underneath, and 12 to 18 on top.
- Allow to bake until the eggs are firm, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon, cover, and continue cooking until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.